Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Last Critique of the Week!

Friday morning dawned, and so did our critique with Jen. I got there early, as had some others, to set up. (All I really had to do was to pin the strips of paper that constituted my "volume study" onto my mannequin. So I improvised, and draped each so that it curved along the body, one on the front and one on the back.) Then, we all looked at each others' work (people seemed to like mine).
Then, Jen arrived and we were set to begin, but we decided to wait for others who hadn't shown yet. Incidentally, Andrea happened to be on of them. Liz asked if she was up, and I said that she had been in bed when I left. Liz went to go knock on our apartment door, and returned to say that there had been no response. Then Ashley got the idea to borrow my key, so she went over. She came back saying that Andrea was "up" (although she didn't specify as in "awake" or "out of bed".) We assumed she and some others would be coming in later, so we began the critique. We looked at both our redone Yohji projects and our accessories projects. For both of mine, people were very complimentary. Tu told me that my completely-redone Yohji designs were a lot better and looked "less Star Wars". Beliz and a couple others liked my "volume study" (which was awesome, since I just did something random and it only took me an hour). I also got praise for putting my accessories drawings on graph paper, getting told that it was "clever". After all of that, Jen said that she could see that I had really improved and had put a lot of effort into my work. With regards to my bag (that I hadn't finished), she liked that I used red thread to outline my motifs, saying that it looked more "computer-y" and more in line with my theme. (I did end up liking it more than my original idea.)
When everyone had been critiqued, Jen said we could do whatever we needed to do. Since I needed some help with my bag, I went to talk to her. She told me that I first needed to insert a wrist loop to attach, and I would attach the lining afterwards. So I made a pattern and cut out the length of fabric, looped it and sewed it in. Then Jen showed me how to attach the lining to the bag, so I did that, pressed it and was told to hand-sew in the remaining seam.
At this point, class was over, and Andrea still had not shown up. Jen told me that she needed to give her a grade on her work, and asked me to tell her so. I left, and first went to see Peter. He began looking for a hotel room for the 3 of us(Andrea, my cousin Hilary who would be visiting, and I) for the 5 nights after jury that we'd be here. He told me to come back later, and so I went back to the apartment. The blinds were drawn, and she was still under the covers. Not really knowing how to approach it, I just whispered, "Hey, Jen says that she needs to see some work from you" and she simply nodded. I was about to leave, so I said, "Should I tell her you're on your way?" Again, another nod. I went back and told Jen that I had told her, but didn't know what else to do. Having finished that piece of business, I went to go talk to Peter and iron out logistical details. I gave him what information I had, and he said he'd call around and asked me to come back around 3 pm, and hopefully they'd have something by then.
I then went back to the room and ate lunch. Andrea still being in bed with the blinds closed, I had to get out into the light, and walked down to Gibert Joseph to browse around. I stayed until I had to meet Peter, and went back up to the office. He had found a place (after calling 6 other places) that would work, and wanted me to bring Andrea so that we could all talk about it together. I trooped back to the apartment, and told Andrea what I knew. She told me her plans, I talked with Hilary, and then I went back to Peter. He reiterated that he wanted to talk to both of us, so back I went with that message. In the end, Andrea decided to change her train date, and I booked a hotel room on Port-Royal for 5 nights. Nagalinga, one of Peter's assistants, went with me to help me book it and so that I could see the location.
After all of that back-and-forth, I was really tired and took a nap. I woke up around 8:30 pm, and bummed around not doing anything particular until going to bed.
So our critiques are all done, yay! (We get our grades during the jury on Wednesday, so hopefully that will go well.)

No comments: