Tuesday we didn't have Susan, so we had Muriel in class. We worked on our pants/skirts, and I got the waistband completely sewn to the pants. I basted the hems of each leg, as well as the top of the belt (so that I can evenly stitch the belt facing to the top of the pants). Muriel told us that we needed to have it done by Monday (?!), but it sounds like nobody will get their piece done on time. (Andrea had said that she wouldn't get hers done in time, since Muriel ripped hers completely off the mannequin, even though she still has to finish! I couldn't believe it!)
In the afternoon, after the rest of working on the pants, we had French class, where we talked about the slang of French youth. Then, we moved to our Art History classroom where we watched a movie called "L'Esquive", which was about young people in the (low-income) suburbs. The dialogue was really fast, and we were all having trouble picking it up. Nolwenn said that we'd watch more of it next week. After class, I went down into the computer lab and worked on my revamped mood board.
That night, Nisa had invited me over to her apartment to eat dinner! She made some Malaysian food (which were all really good), and we watched Sweet Home Alabama. (Funny, I come all the way across the ocean to see a movie about the South. But I plan on seeing There Will Be Blood and maybe No Country for Old Men while I'm here, so why not?) After we were finished with dinner, I took some pictures of her to use for my croquis, and we had some good girl talk (as usual). I love her, she's so awesome! (I feel like I've "bonded" the most with her and Sharon, and not so much with the other 3 American study-abroad students here. Maybe because Nisa, Sharon and I are most individuals.)
Wednesday, we had Anne and we worked on our evening wear. I started planning out my pattern for it, and it looks like I'm going to have 20 panels (wow!). I devised a system to number the pieces (instead of naming them) so that they would match up. I then draped the bodice part of it.
Since I had that afternoon off, I spent the time scanning in pictures for my (also) revamped color board. I worked until the French I class was out, and Liz and Nisa came down. I also worked on my sketches for Jen's class that night, since we needed 10 drawings of shoes and/or bags for Friday.
Thursday, we actually had our regular teacher (Anne) for our regular class (Flat Pattern and Draping), imagine that! I took the bodice for my dress off the mannequin, took off the ribbons marking the panels and traced over the lines where the ribbons were, using my ruler and French curve. In the afternoon portion, I began draping the skirt part. I mostly just cut long pieces of muslin and attached them to the bodice. I didn't even get that done, so I have more to do next time.
After class, I worked on my color board in the computer lab, and got that done as I like it. (Now, I just have to print out that, my mood board, and an enlarged photo of me in the bra, for Susan. Unfortunately, the computer has been out of the magenta cartridge for a few days. I've told Jean-Michel and someone else, but as of Friday morning, there was still no magenta cartridge. So it's back to Copie Saint-Jacques I go.)
Friday morning, we had Stylism with Jen. After she had outlined what our accessories project would entail (a lot of sketches of specific-use bags and shoes, as well as making one bag), she walked around the room and looked at our sketches (and noted down that we had EXACTLY 10). When she got to me, her general comments were that I was getting "too conceptual" with the bags and needed to make it more commercial, and that my shoes were more along the lines of what she would like to see (i.e. not as conceptual). I also asked her about redoing my draped piece, and she said that I could do a few dodecahedrons in various sizes in paper (yay...not). I wasn't feeling particularly inspired (and hadn't when I had drawn my sketches), and so looked through a couple of magazines and talked with Sharon. At about 10 am, Jen asked us if we'd prefer to go to a couple of accessories places (rather than sitting and sketching) so that we could look around and get some ideas. Field trip? You bet we were up for it! And guess where she'd told us we'd go? Marc Jacobs! (Because if we're going to do accessories, we might as well glean information from a modern master.) I ran back to get my purse/tickets, and we rode the bus to Palais Royal.
As it turns out, the Marc Jacobs store is on this tiny, deserted side street. (Sharon and I were talking about this. It seems to be deliberately placed there, instead of on a busy, fashionable street, because they only want the people who actually seek them out with intention to buy, rather than just wander in. That was my idea on it, at least.) When we got there, we split into 2 groups (so as not to overwhelm the salespeople), and Jen, Sharon and I went into Marc Jacobs first. We got to see the frog bags that Jen had told us about (the frogs were usually gold, silver or jeweled and were perched near the clasp). He used a lot of vibrant colors in medium hues, such as kelly green, purple and bright yellow (which I hear is supposed to be the big color this season). All of his stuff was really beautiful, and it was great and inspiring to see how accessories SHOULD be done. We also looked at his kids stuff (Little Marc Jacobs), which were so cute that I kind of wished he made the boys' tees and girls' flats in adult sizes. (Seriously, there was this one pair of flats that were made to look like a mouse! It had little metallic buttons for eyes and a nose, and little whiskers coming out the sides; really the only thing it didn't have was a tail in the back. I could just picture myself dressing my-future, hypothetical daughter in those. Not that I'd blow my money on that for my kid, since I'd be more likely to just buy a pair of flats and paste on some googly-eyes or something. I don't know what it is, but I'm imagining more about having young kids lately. Of course, it might just be seeing all these cute kids bundled up over here, and I could revert back to my "normal" self once I return to the States. But I think, nay, know my mom will be pleased about this!)
After we were done in Marc Jacobs, the groups switched places, and the three of us went down the street to Martin Margella (Mardella? I'm a little unclear on the exact name). This place was completely different from Marc Jacobs. It was a little bit more conceptual and minimalistic. For one thing, you have to descend to below street level to get into the place. Once you're in, the tinkling doorbell announces your presence, and an Asian lady in emo glasses and wearing a lab coat greets you. Everything was very pared-down, in terms of decoration, the sole concession being a small movie theatre in the back that showed the runway show on a loop. I thought some stuff was cool (like the plastic mesh belt), but it was too...clinically clean for me, what with all the white and lab coats and what not. (On the other hand, they did get their point across very effectively.)
After that, the whole group met up again, and we decided to go to Collette, and uber-trendy that I had heard about but hadn't been there. Well, Collette really reminded me of Urban Outfitters. It's like if people in their teens who frequented Urban Outfitters grew up into their twenties, got a bit darker/moodier/edgy and serious, and cared more about designer labels, they'd be Collette's target market. This place has music, cool books, jewelry, and perfume on the lower level. Upstairs is where all the designer clothes are. I had a great time taking it all in (and occasionally sneaking a peek at the prices). I saw another pair of flats that I liked. They were half-black, half-white, so that the inside half of each was white and the outside of each was black. (On seeing them, the first thing I immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode where the four are going to attend a dinner party and spend the whole episode waiting for a chocolate babka. Jerry gets a black-and-white cookie and shares his idea on racial harmony. "Look to the cookie!" I swear, I don't know how my mind works, I make the most random connections.)
After we were done with Colette, Jen suggested we go to Miu Miu, so we walked down the street there. (This was Rue de Foubourg-Saint-Honore, where all the big places, except Marc Jacobs, have their shops.) Miu Miu was doing some great harlequin diamond prints in very warm hues, mostly of purples and rubies. The shoes were absolutely beautiful, and they ranged from wedges (some with carved motifs in the heels) to stilettos. (Initially, I had doubts about the red-purple combination, but they definitely pulled it off, I loved it!)
After Miu Miu, Jen left us, and I walked with Sharon and Rikard back to the metro to go back to school. On the way, we talked about traveling and I learned something really interesting. Rikard was saying that the big thing for the kids to do these days is do is to go to Thailand or Vietnam, instead of traveling within the European Union. He said that this is so common, restaurants in Thailand will have menus in Swedish! I thought that was pretty amazing. (It reminded me of the "Mean Girls" part where Cady gives the Kalteen bar to Regina, and Regina exclaims that "it's all in Swedish or something!" To which Cady replies, "Yeah, everyone in Africa can read Swedish". Random connections, I tell you...)
We got back to school just before Hats class, so I got my stuff and went to class. We made a hat with our straw-like fabric. We first had to cut it to a certain length, and then pleat it, leaving some of the ends loose. We then gathered the ends, and used the excess as decoration. I ended up making a few loose roses and used some of Beliz's pink fabric to accent my deep red hat.
After class, I just chilled, and that night, I planned a trip for the 2-week break! I decided to go to Rome (to see the Colusseum and Trevi Fountain, and whatever else) and Madrid (to see the Boschs in the Prado Museum and eat some paella). I booked flights for all of them on RyanAir, and booked hostels as well. The only sticking point is that I accidentally booked a flight a day earlier than intended. I went back and booked the correct flight, but need to call the airlines to cancel that flight and see if I can get money back or something. I'M EXCITED!!!
Saturday was kind of intense. All I did was work on my pants. I spent the majority of the time sewing (by hand) the belt facing to the pants. This took awhile, because not only was it done by hand, but some of my edges were pretty short and kept coming out, so I had to go back and fix certain areas a few times. Seriously, that took me about 5 hours. From there, I was too burned out to do anything else, and so just bummed around the rest of the night.
Today (Sunday), I sewed the hems on each of the pant legs, and then pinned the gloves in their (potential) position. I also redid that one illustration that Susan didn't like, as well as painted in legs for applicable illustrations (this excludes the Cannes ones, since those are all long dresses). I also talked to my parents, and wrote this.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
awwwh,honey,i love you too :)
Sarah...thinking about young kids? Haha, what an odd development! But Marc Jacobs' stuff sounds so cool.
Post a Comment